Tuesday, October 18, 2005

About That "Beerlicious" Comment

That's been the hot topic of discussion ever since people started seeing promos for the bit on Sunday and Monday. There were extenuating circumstances. I don't normally talk like that. The second it escaped my mouth, i knew it would end up on air making me look dorky, but it was funny nonetheless, so i stand by it. I wanted to have fun and wanted people to laugh at the segment.

To be in a segment on The Daily Show, you go through a long, sometimes disjointed interview. Bakkedahl covered how i got interested in good beer, how FTH started, the campaigns in other states, recited a story from a Ray Stevens song, asked me what are some problems facing Alabama (to which i gave several serious answers, in addition to the comment about not being able to buy good beer), talked about the governor, state slogans, and much more. He asked me if drinking beer was a right, or a vice. I told him it was a right, and he asked me to give a definition for "vice." I told him a vice was something that is bad for you that you enjoy doing. Beer is good for you in moderation. He frequently gave me some ridiculous look or made some outrageous comment that sent me into a fit of laughter, which i'd have to recover from before continuing. It put me in a "funny" mood.

Regarding the slogans, he asked me what the state slogan of Alabama is. I told him "Alabama the Beautiful." He asked me if i had to change the state's slogan, what would i change it to? I couldn't think of anything. He said, "What about Alabama the Beertiful?" I laughed and said "Yeah, Alabama the Beertiful." He repeated it a few times. Got it on the brain.

Then he asked me to go through the experience of drinking a Russian Imperial Stout, since that's one of my favorite beers. I got to the end, and it just came out: Beerlicious. It fit in with the rest of the experience, most of which no one will ever see. I meant for it to be funny. Obviously the producer thought it was...

So as i said, i stand by it. I really think it's going to catch on. It will eventually end up in the Oxford English Dictionary.

posted by Danner at 11:07 PM     permanent link     


4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Don't be ashamed of the comment! I think most people take it for the tounge-in-cheek spirit in which it was made. In fact, I expect to use "Beerliscious" in my daily conversation from now on! Good meeting you last night at the FTH meeting.
October 20, 2005 10:22 AM  

Blogger Sean Lilly Wilson said...
Danner -

That was a beerlicious blog entry. With a hint of smoke!

Cheers,
Sean
October 20, 2005 1:59 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey Danner! Great job promoting your cause and having fun while doing it. Folks were laughing with you, not at you. A native Alabamian, I believe you represented the state well.

KL - Florida
October 24, 2005 7:32 PM  

Blogger Uncle Flip said...
Hey, beerlicious has been in common usage on BA ever since. It was a stroke of genius.

As for being in the dictionary, I have already commented that in 15 years, we'll be able to use it in Scrabble.

Be well
-UF
October 26, 2005 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment   << Blog Home